Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Refresh

Ever wish you could hit the "refresh" button for your life?  We know when things become stuck or overloaded with our computers the refresh button is always available to help us get back on track.  I recently went on a Simplicity retreat.  The purpose of this retreat was to explore what living simply, getting unstuck and not being overloaded in our day to day lives looks like.  We explored scripture, prayed and discussed living a life free of worry and distraction with Christ at the center of our life. 


One of the scriptures that we discussed was Luke 10:38-42, NIV:

At the Home of Martha and Mary As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said.  But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!” “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one.  Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

So where in your own life are you "worried and upset about many things"?  Remember, only one thing is needed.  To stay focused on Christ.  What would this look like in your life?  Is there ways of simplifying your life where you will worry less, be less distracted, and keep your hearts focused on Christ?  For me I have brainstormed several things I could do (or stop doing) that will aid in a simpler life and in turn will help me keep my focus on Christ.  I am going to strive to implement one new aspect each month.  Here are a few of mine:

1)  Eliminate Hurry
2)  Established Sleeping Schedule (same time up and to bed each day)
3)  Declutter personal space 


What would be on your list?


Resources 

Simplicity Retreat - Led by and material by Shari E. Adams, MA, LMFT

Community Care - Spiritual Mentors - mentors to help you as you refocus your life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment