Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Servanthood

Serving Christ through serving others. Do not ask me how many years that phrase has been my life motto. I have no idea. When I was young I thought about the following question a lot:

What is the greatest thing a person could ever be? After a lot of thought and prayer a very interesting answer came.

A servant. I base this on Matthew 20:28 where it states that Christ came to serve and not to be served. Therefore, as a Christ follower, that would mean I am here to serve also. Understanding this spiritually has not been hard for me. Putting this into practical application every day of my life is where the issues have come. I can also say I am not alone with this.

When working with couples, I especially hear phrases such as:

*He/she never does this.
*I do everything.
*What will I get out of this?
*I do not feel cared for or loved.



I bring up those statements not to say as a Christian we become a "doormat". There are Biblical instructions on handling conflict (i.e. Matthew 18: 15-17). Instead, I bring those comments up since many times it is more of a case of the need for a perspective change than anything else. With our sinful tendencies, we drift toward laziness, and a perspective of what "should" be done for "me". Instead, the message of Christ is more like the following in a relationship:

*What can I do for you today?
*How can I love you better?
*I pray that you experience God's best today.


When our focus is on loving and servanthood we are being a picture of Christ. This above all, is what we are called to be a picture of in all of our relationships. This above all, is the most important thing we could ever be!


just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” Matthew 20:28 NIV



Resource

Gary Chapman. Learning to Serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment